The nutraceutical market is a growing industry. One of the main reasons for this growth is consumers’ greater awareness of their own health, especially as they age. On top of that, many people with chronic health issues and diseases turn to more natural methods instead of pharmaceutical solutions.
Also, due to poor nutrition in some places, there is an increasing emphasis on food fortification by governments. Overall, there is a great demand for these products. As a result, increasing demand for nutraceutical ingredients causes the price of raw materials to also rise (1).
What are Nutraceuticals?
Nutraceuticals (a combination of the words ‘nutrition’ and ‘pharmaceutical’), are standardized nutrients which the FDA regulates as dietary supplements and food additives (2). There are several types of nutraceuticals:
- Dietary supplements — Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, herbs, and enzymes marketed in various forms: tablets, capsules, gelcaps, softgels, powders, and liquids. Some popular dietary supplements include vitamin D, calcium, ginseng, and fish oil (3).
- Functional foods — Fortified or enriched foods that are marketed beneficial to consumers’ health (2).
- Medical foods — Prescribed by physicians and taken under medical supervision. Often given to surgical patients and premature babies (4).
- Farmaceuticals (‘farm’ and ‘pharmaceutical’) — Made from genetically-engineered crops or animals to provide more nutrients (4).
The Supply Chain:
Raw Material Farmers & Producers
The best nutraceuticals begin with the best raw materials. However, not all raw materials have the same quality. When considering raw materials, farming practices, pesticide use, purity, uniformity, and traceability of ingredients are all concerns (5). As a result, the first step in quality control is starting with superior raw materials.
Raw Material Wholesalers
In order to get the raw materials they need, every manufacturer works with supply partners. These wholesale partners source the raw materials from the farmers and producers, then sell them to manufacturers. The nutraceutical ingredients market can be divided into ingredients based on (6):
- Type — vitamins, minerals, prebiotics, probiotics, proteins & amino acids, omega-3 fatty acids, specialty carbohydrates, plant extracts, etc.
- Application — dietary supplements, functional food, functional beverages, and personal care
Form — dry and liquid
- Health benefits – heart health, gut health, bone health, weight management, etc.
As stated above, superior nutraceuticals begin with great raw materials. So finding a wholesale partner (or partners) to supply raw materials is vital to manufacturing the best products.
Contract Nutraceutical Manufacturing Companies
ABH Pharma is a supplement manufacturer that produces supplements from custom formulas. At the same time, clients can opt for our stock products. What’s more, we offer additional options like bottling and boxing custom products. Our entire process, from procuring raw materials to production to labeling and packing is based on FDA guidelines and follows the strictest standards of quality control (7).
Labeling, Packaging, and Marketing
One of the most crucial elements for successful nutraceuticals is branding. When you develop a recognizable brand along with a high-quality product, customers associate quality with the brand. As a turnkey manufacturer, ABH Pharma helps you develop and establish your brand through custom labeling, packaging, and marketing.
Packaging Design and Printing
Your products’ packaging design directly influences consumers. For example, custom design and packaging can boost sales by improving marketability and differentiating your products.
ABH Pharma is a full-service nutraceutical manufacturer, but we also create attractive packaging. In fact, we are also an industry leader in label design, FDA label compliance, supplement packing design, and printing. What’s more, we also design and print inserts.
Once you settle on a product and a label design, package design is next. Ideally, a nutraceutical company should offer a wide variety of packaging options. ABH Pharma offers top quality packaging materials like bottles, jars, and packaging for various doses. On top of that, we also offer display boxes, folding cartons, shrink-wrapped containers, blister packs, and other packaging options.
In addition to being a nutraceuticals manufacturer, ABH Pharma is also a contract supplement marketing firm. We work with brands to help them expand their reach and be more competitive, both in physical stores and online.
Fulfillment Warehouses and Shipping Nutraceutical Products
Regardless of where you plan to sell your products (online, in a brick and mortar store, as an Amazon fulfiller, or all three), ABH Pharma offers comprehensive fulfillment services for nutraceutical companies:
- We warehouse your products and track your inventory using our state of the art 3PL software.
- Moreover, we send you alerts and reports of your inventory and shipments which you may check anytime via our online web portal.
- Additionally, we help with shipping logistics. Since we have good relationships with shipping companies, we’re able to negotiate shipping rates to benefit our clients.
Vitamin Brands Selling Vitamins to Regular Consumers Through Smart Marketing
These days, it possible to build a thriving supplement and vitamin-selling business by selling directly to consumers. Social media and online stores have opened an entirely new world for sales. By marketing themselves and their products, a supplement seller can build a base of regular customers and carve out a niche market for themselves.
Manufacture Your Supplements With SMP Nutra
Before you get are able to sell supplements, you need a product that is going to sell great along with being affordable.
SMP Nutra offers a wide variety of stock supplements that you can start to sell for your brand today! Check out our stock private label supplements now!
We also offer design services to make your supplement look professional and attractive.
Will is a Co-Founder of SMP Nutra, founder of GetKnownPros, and owns a handful of supplement brands. Will has extensive knowledge of trends in the nutraceutical industry after contract-manufacturing for hundreds of brands. Will has spent the last decade learning the best online marketing & brand-building techniques for supplement & vitamin brands and enjoys sharing this unique knowledge with his nutra-entrepreneur community.